Saturday 5 April 2014

2007 review by me of Doom Reborn version 0.35 alpha mod on GameSpy's PlanetDoom

The writing contained here is years old and GameSpy no longer exists but they are a reflection of the work I used to do then. Some of the links found in these posts will no longer work however they will remain as part of the original work. These posts are under the label: Outdated articles and works.

WOW! That’s how I am starting this review. I have been looking at Doom Reborn version 0.35 alpha. Work in progress but the playable alpha is available for your playing pleasure. The mod is designed to create the feel of the original doom, but with enhanced graphics. Recreating the levels in the process.

The mod has a lot of attention to detail in recreating the levels. Textures have also been added that aren’t part of the original doom 3 in order to give the authentic feeling. The weapon compliment is the same as Doom. The potions and health packs, all recreated for the authentic feel. Although in version 0.35 I see no such changes, the Doom Reborn team claim that they will make the imp look like the original imp, and the undead as well. Their website shows the screenshots of the models. Of course no doom would be complete without the invisibility power up, and I am happy to report that the mod has this.

The mod plays very good, complete with the doom marine’s steroid injected legs! The movement speed is as fast as the original doom. The toxic slime is mesmerising as it really does look like a pool of liquid. Doom Reborn team have done a fantastic job with the liquid effect in my opinion. Whoever said the Doom 3 engine couldn't do liquids? I can vouch for the game play experience because I sat down thinking i'll play this for half an hour, get through most of it and be able to write something about it. 2 hours of playing later and I am thinking if I should exit the game just yet.

I would have to say if you suffer from motion sickness, stay clear, the rest, be prepared to cancel your days plans! Because from the moment you kill your first monster, time stops being a priority. Be prepared to shoot the imps twice, however, as they seem to take twice the effort to kill than the original doom imps.

I could conclude this review with many words but I will leave it up to the Doom Reborn team's words to say it for me. As quoted on their website, "I hope I'm getting the point across that we're not just making some crappy mod... We're dead-set on making this awesome!". I could not agree more.

Read about and get the mod at: http://doomreborn.d3files.com/

Reviewed by Shadow Master

No comments :

Post a Comment